Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Happy April Fools Day

Hi Folks,

Today I went back to school for my final class term! Yippee!! I'm taking "Children, Families and the Law", "Clinical Treatment of Adolescents" and "The Social Meaning of Race". My law class is being taught by an actual lawyer and she seems very serious, a lot different from my social work professors who are all pretty casual. She won't even call us by our first names. She took attendance and when she called out "Ms. Thorn" I almost didn't raise my hand, because no one ever addresses me by my last name.

My internship is going well, I only have about 6 weeks left there. The most interesting part of it has been being part of an advocacy group for court-involved girls. We've been working on recommendation papers for the state and county juvenile justice systems regarding the health and mental health of the girls in the detention center/jail. It's a pretty big debate because on one hand, we want to provide good services to the girls in detention and hopefully keep them from returning. On the other hand, we don't want detention centers to be the best option for a judge when she's trying to decide where to place a girl. I'm going to a big conference about it next week at the Fairmont, which my organization is co-sponsoring.

Other than that, same old, same old. Thorn kids had lunch with G&G last week which was really nice, and always entertaining when Saddlebrook Farms stories are involved. Then I stopped over at Auntie Julie's for a while and got to play with the kids, so that was nice too. I'll be at Auntie Laurie's house on Sunday, along with Linny and Jay-bird, so we'll see most of you soon.

Love Ame

No comments: